Former vice-president Atiku Abubakar has warned against proposals to suspend political campaigns in parts of northern Nigeria, arguing that such a move would undermine constitutional rights and risk disenfranchising millions already grappling with insecurity.
His intervention follows reports that the Senate is considering halting political activities in at least eight states affected by escalating violence, including Borno, Benue and Plateau. In a statement issued on Sunday by his aide, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku described the proposal as “deeply troubling”, insisting that insecurity must not be used to justify restrictions on democratic participation.
“The right to vote and participate in the electoral process is fundamental and cannot be abridged under any guise,” he said. “Any attempt—whether deliberate or disguised—to suppress political activities in parts of northern Nigeria raises legitimate concerns about disenfranchisement.”
Atiku, a leading figure within the African Democratic Congress, suggested that the debate risked reinforcing earlier fears about efforts to weaken voter participation in key northern states. “This is not merely about campaigns; it is about representation, inclusion, and the integrity of our democratic process,” he said. “You cannot cure insecurity by silencing the voices of the people. Democracy must not become a casualty of government failure.”
He added that citizens across the region deserved both security and full democratic participation, warning that neither should come at the expense of the other. “At a time when citizens are already battling hardship and insecurity, the least the government can do is to guarantee their right to be heard, not to restrict it,” he said, cautioning that any policy perceived as targeted exclusion could deepen national divisions.
The former vice-president also called on the Independent National Electoral Commission, security agencies and the administration of Bola Tinubu to clarify their positions and reassure Nigerians that constitutional rights would be upheld across all regions.
The controversy comes amid rising anxiety within the National Assembly over worsening insecurity, particularly in the north-east, north-west and parts of the north-central. Lawmakers have voiced concern over renewed attacks linked to Boko Haram, including assaults on military formations and threats to ongoing rescue operations for abducted civilians.
Last week, Abdul Ningi, who represents Bauchi Central, urged the Senate to consider sweeping emergency measures, including suspending political activities in frontline states most affected by insurgency and banditry.
Raising the issue during plenary, Ningi argued that the scale of violence demanded more decisive action. “We cannot continue to think that because we are in Abuja, therefore this thing does not affect us,” he said, proposing that political activities be paused either nationwide or in states such as Borno, Plateau, Bauchi, Benue, Niger, Sokoto, Kebbi and parts of Kano.
“We need to suspend activities in these states until we are sufficiently certain that the insecurity challenges are over,” he added, warning that repeated expressions of concern without concrete action would do little to stem the crisis.
The proposal underscores a growing dilemma at the heart of Nigeria’s security challenge: how to confront a resurgent insurgency without compromising the democratic process it threatens to destabilise.



