Fresh details have emerged about the killing of a senior Nigerian army commander during a midnight assault on a military base in north-east Nigeria, with survivors and residents describing a large-scale, coordinated attack that appeared to overwhelm troops.
Brig Gen Oseni Braimah, commander of the 29 Task Force Brigade, was killed during the нападение on a base in Benisheikh, in Borno State, a strategic town along the Maiduguri–Damaturu highway long affected by insurgent violence.
While the Nigerian Army has insisted the нападение was repelled and dismissed reports of heavy losses and equipment failure, accounts from soldiers and civilians suggest a far more intense engagement, with multiple positions targeted simultaneously.
The attack, which began around 12.30am on Thursday, was attributed to fighters from Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (Iswap), who reportedly advanced in large numbers and struck at least three military formations before pushing into nearby civilian areas.
“We are used to coordinated attacks, but this was different,” said one surviving soldier, speaking on condition of anonymity. “They came in large numbers from different directions at the same time. It felt like they had studied our positions for weeks.”
Another soldier described how the attackers’ numerical advantage and multi-directional assault created confusion within the ranks. “We stood our ground at first, but they were too many. It was like an ambush,” he said.
Sources said morale among troops deteriorated as reports spread that other positions had been overrun. The situation worsened when news circulated that the brigade commander had been killed.
“That was when fear fully set in,” the soldier added, describing a breakdown in coordination that forced some personnel to withdraw towards the town.
Residents said the gun battle lasted more than 90 minutes, punctuated by heavy explosions and sustained gunfire that sent civilians fleeing in panic.
“We heard loud explosions and continuous gunshots. People were running in all directions. Even soldiers ran into the town for cover,” said Mustapha Abu, a local resident.
In the aftermath, competing narratives have emerged over the circumstances of Braimah’s death. Early reports suggested a malfunctioning Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle may have contributed, but military sources have rejected that account.
“The insurgents actually set the MRAP on fire during the attack. Saying he died because the vehicle didn’t start is not accurate,” a senior source within the brigade said.
Another insider said the intensity of the engagement made it difficult to establish a definitive account, noting that many of those closest to the commander at the time were also killed.
A former driver to the late general described him as meticulous about maintenance, dismissing suggestions of negligence. “He didn’t joke with repairs,” he said.
However, another source pointed to possible systemic lapses, alleging longstanding concerns about vehicle maintenance within the formation.
The violence also spilled into Benisheikh itself, with residents reporting the destruction of shops, vehicles and other civilian property. Some said a temporary withdrawal of troops created a security vacuum that allowed insurgents to loot military facilities.
In a statement, the north-east joint task force, Operation Hadin Kai, rejected what it described as exaggerated casualty figures circulating online.
Its spokesperson, Lt Col Sani Uba, said official figures showed that two officers and two soldiers were killed, dismissing higher numbers as “false, misleading, and devoid of credibility”.
He also denied claims that the commander’s vehicle was unserviceable, stating that it had been “temporarily immobilised in the heat of combat” while Braimah coordinated the counter-attack.
Despite the losses, the military maintained that troops retained control of their positions and forced the insurgents into a disorganised retreat.
The killing of Braimah adds to a growing list of senior officers lost in the long-running insurgency in north-east Nigeria, raising renewed questions about operational strategy, intelligence and force protection in the conflict.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu expressed condolences, praising the “bravery and resilience” of troops and describing the нападение as a sign of insurgents’ desperation amid sustained military offensives.
He urged the armed forces not to be discouraged and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to defeating terrorism and restoring peace in the region.
Story adapted from a Punch Newspaper report



