The son of the late Maj Gen Rabe Abubakar (retd), Isyaka Rabe, has disputed claims that his father suffered from diabetes or hypertension, contradicting the account attributed to the Katsina State Government regarding the retired military officer’s death in captivity.
In an interview with Deutsche Welle on Sunday, Isyaka said suggestions that the former army spokesperson died of diabetes were inaccurate, insisting the family did not believe the condition explained his sudden death.
He also referenced speculation circulating online that the general may have died from a snake bite, based on a video reportedly released by his abductors, but said the exact circumstances remained unclear.
“I truly don’t believe it was diabetes. In our view, it was a heart attack,” he said. “If you look at it, his legs were restrained. Only God knows, since only God is the knower.”
The Katsina State Government had earlier said the retired general died of complications related to diabetes and hypertension, describing his death as a tragic loss to both the state and the country.
Isyaka said the family had no conclusive medical evidence and directed further questions on the recovery of the body to the authorities involved.
“I don’t have information on how the body was recovered,” he said. “When I announced the time for my father’s funeral prayer, many people began asking. I told them I did not know and that they should direct such questions to the government.”
While paying tribute, Isyaka described his father as a devout, peaceful and humble man who served Nigeria with distinction, adding that he “died a hero” despite the circumstances of his death.
Maj Gen Abubakar was abducted alongside his wife on 30 May 2026 in Katsina State. His captors later released a video demanding the release of detained fighters and the return of livestock allegedly seized during security operations in exchange for their freedom.
In the footage, the couple appeared appealing to authorities to meet the conditions set by the abductors.
On Saturday, the Katsina State Government confirmed the general’s death, describing it as a tragic development, but did not provide detailed circumstances beyond its medical explanation.
However, questions have continued to circulate over the handling of the case, including how his remains were recovered and the continued captivity of his wife.
Isyaka dismissed social media claims that she had been released, insisting she remained in captivity.
“Whoever says she has been released, I say that is a lie; she has not been released,” he said. “Right now, she is still in their custody.”
The killing has drawn wider political reactions, including from former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, who described the incident as evidence of Nigeria’s worsening insecurity and the state’s inability to protect citizens.
Atiku said the death of a senior retired military officer in captivity was “heartbreaking and unacceptable”, warning that it underscored the vulnerability of even former security personnel.
He also linked the case to broader insecurity, citing recent abductions of schoolchildren in Oyo and Borno states.
“The message being sent is dangerous: that those who once defended the nation can no longer rely on the nation for protection,” he said.
The Special Adviser on Security Matters to the Sokoto State Governor, Col Ahmed Usman (retd), also described the incident as a national tragedy and urged stronger coordination among security agencies.
He called for intensified efforts to secure the release of the late general’s wife, who remains in captivity, and warned that the incident highlighted the urgency of addressing Nigeria’s persistent kidnapping crisis.



