31.1 C
Abuja
Sunday, February 25, 2024

FG reassures workers, commits to clearing N35,000 wage award arrears

Labour Minister underscores commitment during meetings with key trade unions

Must read

In a bid to address workers’ concerns, the Federal Government has pledged to settle the arrears of the N35,000 wage award, affirming its dedication to implementing agreements reached with trade unions. The assurance was conveyed by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, during separate meetings with the leaderships of the Trade Union Congress and Congress of University Academics in Abuja on Wednesday.

Onyejeocha emphasized the importance of maintaining open lines of communication and reinforcing labour relations to prevent potential strikes while fostering a positive work environment. She acknowledged the challenges faced by trade unions and reiterated the government’s commitment to partnership.

“I am here specifically to reassure you that we have not forgotten about the agreements between the government and trade unions,” stated Onyejeocha. She confirmed that the payment of the N35,000 wage award had resumed, assuring that any outstanding arrears would be settled promptly.

The minister also addressed the issue of the new national minimum wage, expressing the government’s determination to ensure the committee begins working earnestly. “If there is any that we cannot fulfil now, including the past ones, we will continue our engagements on them,” she affirmed.

Commending the Trade Union Congress for its trust in the government, Onyejeocha pledged ongoing collaboration for the greater good of the people. The President of the Trade Union Congress, Comrade Festus Osifo, acknowledged the government’s efforts, highlighting the fulfilment of 80 percent of the agreement with the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria and urging the completion of the remaining 20 percent.

As discussions continue between the government and labour unions, the commitment to resolving issues and fostering a constructive partnership remains a focal point in achieving common goals.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article