Suspected terrorists who seized schoolchildren and teachers from three communities in Oyo State have told authorities they will negotiate only with the governor himself, as the captives entered their eighth day in custody and dread spread through surrounding towns, emptying classrooms and fracturing daily life.
Two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed that the abductors, who struck schools in Esinele, Yamota and Alawusa in the Oriire local government area last Friday, have refused to engage with the victims’ families and insist on speaking exclusively with Governor Seyi Makinde. Whether the governor is personally conducting the talks, or has delegated the role to a representative, could not be established.
One source described the opening of a communication channel as a cautious relief. “It is not that security agencies don’t know what to do. But the risks are too high,” the person said. “At least now, they are talking.” The specific demands being made are being withheld by authorities to protect the safety of those held.
Makinde’s special adviser on security, Abayomi Fagbenro, declined to comment.
Among those believed to be in captivity are toddlers aged two and three. Community leaders say the onset of the rainy season has sharpened their anxiety, as rising floodwaters and dense forest terrain make conditions increasingly treacherous for the captives. Sources say the group has been moving through thick woodland and across state boundaries to stay ahead of security forces.
The human cost of the crisis has already extended beyond those abducted. A stampede at Areago Grammar School in Ogbomoso on Tuesday, triggered when pupils spotted men in nearby bushes and feared a second attack, ended in tragedy when a student fleeing the scene was struck and killed by a vehicle. His mother died shortly afterwards, reportedly from the shock of learning of her son’s death.
Teachers across the affected region described schools that have been hollowed out by fear. At one primary school in Ikose, a teacher said classrooms had been effectively abandoned since Monday. “All the schools, both private and public, in Ogbomoso have been empty,” she said. By Thursday, she added, staff were leaving before 11am; on Friday, teachers agreed collectively not to attend in tribute to Joel Adesiyan, an assistant headmaster killed during the original attack, who was buried that day.
A colleague in Tewure said parents had begun contacting her on the Sunday evening following the abductions to say their children would not be returning. “I could tell from our conversations that they were scared,” she said. By Wednesday, fewer than 20 pupils had come to her school.
A teacher who gave her name only as Oyeyemi described parents arriving mid-morning to pull their children out early, unwilling to wait until the end of the school day. “In some classes, more than half of the pupils were absent,” she said. “If urgent security measures are not put in place, more parents will withdraw their children completely. Nobody wants to lose a child.”
She called for a visible security presence around schools. “Parents want reassurance that their children are safe. Teachers, too, want to feel protected while doing their jobs.”



