The Nigerian military has defended an airstrike on a market near the Borno–Yobe border, insisting it targeted a militant stronghold, as anger grows over reports that dozens—possibly hundreds—of civilians were killed.
The strike, carried out on Saturday under Operation Hadin Kai, hit Jilli village market in Gubio local government area, triggering sharp condemnation from local authorities, political figures and human rights groups amid confusion over the scale of casualties.
Residents and local officials said more than 40 civilians were killed, while other estimates suggested a far higher toll. One local councillor claimed as many as 200 people may have died, highlighting the lack of clarity surrounding the incident.
In a statement on Sunday, the military maintained that the area was a legitimate target, describing Jilli as a long-standing logistics hub for fighters linked to Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Lt Col Sanni Uba, spokesperson for the north-east joint task force, said the operation followed “sustained intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions” which tracked motorcycles and gun trucks converging on the location.
According to Uba, the strike was “carefully coordinated” and based on corroborated intelligence indicating the presence of militants, logistics handlers and collaborators preparing for attacks on troop positions.
He linked the operation to recent assaults in the region, including an improvised explosive device attack in January that killed eight soldiers, and coordinated attacks earlier this month in Ngamdu and Benisheikh.
“Target fidelity was confirmed through multiple credible human intelligence sources, supported by persistent aerial surveillance,” he said, adding that the strike destroyed vehicles and “neutralised scores of terrorists”.
But the official account has been challenged by state authorities and humanitarian actors, who say civilians were among those hit.
The Yobe State Emergency Management Agency confirmed that traders from Geidam were affected, describing the incident as an accidental strike on a busy market. It said emergency teams had been deployed to assess the situation and assist victims.
Borno state governor Babagana Zulum acknowledged the strike but reiterated that the market had previously been shut due to its alleged use by insurgents. He warned residents against aiding or trading with militant groups, stressing that such locations remained high-risk.
Yobe state officials similarly said the operation targeted a Boko Haram stronghold but conceded that civilians were inadvertently caught in the attack. Injured victims, they said, had been evacuated for treatment.
Rights groups were more forceful. Amnesty International condemned the strike as “reckless” and called for an immediate, impartial investigation, citing witness accounts that military jets bombed a crowded civilian area. The organisation suggested that more than 100 people may have been killed.
Political reaction has also intensified. Former vice-president Atiku Abubakar described the incident as a “devastating failure”, questioning the value placed on Nigerian lives and warning against the repeated use of force that results in civilian harm.
“While targeting insurgents, innocent Nigerians were once again reduced to collateral damage,” he said, calling for urgent review and accountability.
In response to the controversy, the Nigerian Air Force said it had opened an investigation, activating its Civilian Harm Accident and Investigation Cell to conduct a fact-finding mission.
“The protection of innocent lives remains central to all operations,” the service said, pledging transparency and cooperation with community leaders and relevant authorities.
Security experts say the episode underscores persistent gaps in targeting and intelligence verification. Kabir Adamu, a security analyst, called for a “systemic overhaul” of air operations, including stronger intelligence, improved targeting protocols and clearer accountability mechanisms.
Others pointed to the broader challenges of asymmetric warfare, where insurgents often operate within civilian populations, complicating efforts to distinguish combatants from non-combatants.
Still, critics argue that repeated incidents raise deeper concerns about operational safeguards and civilian protection in conflict zones.
The latest strike comes less than a month after another air raid in Borno hit public locations including a market and a hospital gate, killing at least 23 people and injuring more than 100.
For many residents in Nigeria’s north-east, the pattern is becoming painfully familiar: military operations aimed at dismantling insurgent networks that too often leave civilians caught in the crossfire.



