At least 130 Nigerians have registered for voluntary evacuation flights from South Africa, as the Nigerian government moves to protect its citizens amid renewed tensions tied to anti-foreigner protests.
The minister of foreign affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, said in a situation update on Sunday that the evacuation plan forms part of a broader diplomatic and security response coordinated with Nigerian missions in South Africa.
She said the move followed directives from Bola Tinubu, who has ordered closer monitoring of developments and stronger safeguards for Nigerians abroad. “The priority at this time remains the safety of our citizens,” she said, adding that efforts were under way to compile a register of Nigerians seeking to return home.
“So far, 130 applicants have duly registered for the exercise with our mission,” Odumegwu-Ojukwu noted, warning that the figure could rise as more people request assistance.
The Nigerian government has also summoned South Africa’s acting high commissioner, as diplomatic engagement intensifies over the unrest. The protests – reported in cities including Pretoria and Johannesburg – have heightened anxiety among Nigerian nationals, despite assurances from authorities.
“There is heightened concern over a series of anti-foreigner demonstrations, some of which have targeted Nigerians,” the minister said, adding that Tinubu had called for more effective control of the situation by host security agencies.
Although South African authorities, including president Cyril Ramaphosa, have condemned violence, images circulating online showing attacks and inflammatory rhetoric have drawn international criticism.
According to the minister, protests held between 27 and 29 April were largely peaceful, though heavily policed. Officers deployed teargas at intervals to prevent escalation, and no deaths or destruction of Nigerian-owned property were recorded during those demonstrations.
However, she confirmed two separate fatalities involving Nigerians, both allegedly linked to encounters with security personnel.
Amamiro Chidiebere Emmanuel died on 25 April after injuries reportedly sustained during a beating by members of the South African National Defence Force in Port Elizabeth. In a separate case, Nnaemeka Matthew Andrew was found dead at a Pretoria mortuary following an alleged interaction with metropolitan police.
Describing the incidents as “utterly condemnable”, Odumegwu-Ojukwu said Nigeria was closely monitoring investigations and had demanded accountability. “Nigeria demands justice be done in these cases,” she said.
Further protests are expected between 4 and 8 May, raising fears of renewed tensions. Nigerian diplomatic missions, she added, are working with South African authorities to ensure the safety of citizens while evacuation plans continue.
The minister also pointed to the historical ties between both countries, noting Nigeria’s role in the anti-apartheid struggle and warning against a recurring pattern of xenophobic mobilisation, often linked to domestic political cycles.
“Nigerian lives and businesses must not continue to be put at risk,” she said. “We remain committed to working with South Africa to bring an end to this pattern.”
Nigeria recently signed a bilateral early-warning agreement with South Africa aimed at protecting citizens in both countries, a mechanism officials say is now being tested amid the latest unrest.



