The Nigerian government has demanded urgent accountability from South Africa following the deaths of two Nigerian nationals and a surge in anti-foreigner protests, warning that the developments could strain diplomatic relations and endanger its citizens.
The position was set out on Monday after Nigeria summoned South Africa’s acting high commissioner, Lesoli Machele, to a meeting in Abuja with the permanent secretary of the ministry of foreign affairs, Amb Dunoma Ahmed.
At the centre of the dispute are the deaths of Nnaemeka Matthew Ekpeyong and Kelvin Chidiebere Amaramiro, both of whom Nigerian authorities say died in incidents linked to South African security personnel.
According to a statement issued by the ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, Ekpeyong died on 21 April while in the custody of the Tshwane Metro Police Department, having reportedly sustained injuries attributed to members of the South African National Defence Force.
Officials said a search of his residence yielded no incriminating evidence, raising concerns over the circumstances of his detention and treatment.
In a separate case, Amaramiro died on 25 April at Livingstone Hospital in the Eastern Cape after what was described as an alleged assault by personnel of the South African military.
Beyond the deaths, Abuja voiced alarm at what it described as escalating hostility towards foreign nationals, citing protests in parts of South Africa calling for foreigners to leave the country.
Particular concern was expressed over threats linked to groups such as Operation Dudula and individuals including Jacinta Zuma, which Nigerian officials said pointed to a broader pattern of incitement and intimidation.
The government called for “thorough and impartial investigations” into both deaths, urging South African authorities to share preliminary findings, provide autopsy reports and ensure access to legal processes for the victims’ families.
It also stressed the need for accountability where wrongdoing is established, including disciplinary and prosecutorial action against any officials found culpable.
Abuja further pressed for guarantees on the safety of Nigerians living in South Africa, calling for clear directives against profiling, strict adherence to due process and enforcement of professional standards by security agencies.
While acknowledging statements by South African leaders condemning violence, Nigeria said such rhetoric must “translate into consistent action”.
Diplomatic engagement has intensified in recent days, with the foreign affairs minister, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, holding talks with her South African counterpart in an effort to defuse tensions.
At home, the government urged restraint amid rising anger, noting that a small protest had already taken place outside the South African high commission in Abuja. It cautioned against reprisals, emphasising that efforts were under way at the highest levels to address the situation.
Responding after the meeting, Machele said Pretoria would be briefed on Nigeria’s concerns and insisted the protests were not endorsed by the South African government, adding that steps would be taken to sustain peaceful relations between the two countries.



