― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsNigeria Summons South African Envoy Over Attacks On Citizens Amid Xenophobic Unrest

Nigeria Summons South African Envoy Over Attacks On Citizens Amid Xenophobic Unrest

Nigeria has summoned South Africa’s acting high commissioner to Abuja following a surge in protests and reported attacks on Nigerian nationals and their businesses, in a move that underscores mounting diplomatic unease between Africa’s two largest economies.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

In a statement issued on Saturday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the envoy had been invited for talks at its headquarters on Monday, citing developments that could strain long-standing relations between Nigeria and South Africa.

The ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, said the meeting would provide an opportunity for Abuja to formally register its concerns over the treatment of Nigerians in South Africa.

“The objective of this engagement is to convey the Nigerian government’s profound concern regarding recent events that have the potential to impact the established cordial relations between Nigeria and South Africa,” the statement said.

Officials indicated that discussions would centre on ongoing demonstrations across parts of South Africa, alongside what Nigeria described as documented cases of harassment, violence and attacks on Nigerian-owned businesses.

Reports suggest that protests, some with xenophobic overtones, have intensified in cities including Pretoria, where migrants have allegedly faced intimidation and threats. In some instances, demonstrators were said to have targeted schools, attempting to exclude children of foreign nationals from classrooms.

The unrest has reportedly resulted in fatalities, including two Nigerians, fuelling anxiety within the diaspora and prompting renewed calls for stronger government intervention.

While acknowledging growing anger at home, the Nigerian government urged restraint, assuring citizens that efforts were under way to safeguard their rights abroad. “The ministry is aware of the growing discontent among Nigerians,” the statement noted, while appealing for calm.

South Africa’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, has meanwhile called on foreign nationals to respect local laws, while reiterating his administration’s commitment to human rights — a position that has done little to quell concerns in Abuja as tensions continue to simmer.