Nigeria has warned that it may adopt additional measures against South Africa if attacks on its citizens continue, after the killing of two Nigerian men in separate incidents that have reignited concerns over xenophobic violence in Africa’s most industrialised nation.
The federal government condemned the deaths of Emeka Charles Iroegbu and Musa Yunana Joe, known as Big Joe, and demanded immediate, transparent investigations, saying the continued targeting of foreigners – particularly Nigerians – raised serious questions about their safety in South Africa.
Both men were killed on 28 June. Iroegbu allegedly died after being tortured by officers of the Tshwane Metro Police in Sunnyside, Pretoria, while Joe was reportedly shot dead by unidentified gunmen outside his shop in Witbank, Mpumalanga.
In a strongly worded statement issued on Sunday, Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs warned that its patience was wearing thin.
“We wish to place the Government of South Africa on notice that if the situation continues to persist, all options remain on the table, some of which will be activated if the uncultured and provocative trend of intolerance and apartheid-style behaviour of South Africa against foreigners is not addressed,” the ministry said.
Abuja described the killings as part of a disturbing pattern of violence against Nigerians living in South Africa. It noted that the same Tshwane Metro Police officers allegedly implicated in the death of another Nigerian, Nnaemeka Mathew Andrew Ekpenyong, on 20 April, have yet to be arrested despite being known to the South African Police Service.
In a statement signed by the ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the government expressed outrage over Iroegbu’s death, saying he had been killed using “gruesome interrogation techniques”.
The ministry said the latest incidents had occurred amid a rise in xenophobic tensions and attacks on foreign nationals, warning against attempts to portray Nigerians collectively as criminals.
“These two killings come at a time when foreigners are being unduly targeted in South Africa,” the statement said. “This raises questions about a deliberate attempt by some elements to wrongfully generalise and tag well-meaning, hard-working and respectable Nigerians as criminals.”
The Nigerian government also accused some South African security operatives, particularly members of the Tshwane Metro Police, of complicity in attacks on Nigerians.
It further criticised remarks allegedly made by a South African government spokesperson who challenged Nigerians leaving the country because of xenophobic protests to disclose the locations of illegal drugs.
Abuja described the comments as inflammatory and unacceptable, saying such statements amounted to hate speech capable of inciting violence against Nigerians.
“Such derogatory, unprofessional and uncensored generalised public statements by highly placed government officials constitute hate speech that influences and incites negative and criminal actions against members of the Nigerian community,” the ministry said.
Nigeria called on South African authorities to urgently investigate the latest killings and several unresolved cases involving Nigerian nationals, insisting that those responsible must be brought to justice without delay.
While expressing sympathy for the families of the victims, the government said it would continue engaging South African authorities at the highest levels in pursuit of justice.
It also urged Nigerians living in South Africa to remain calm, law-abiding and vigilant, advising them to avoid areas prone to violence and relocate to safer locations where necessary.
The ministry appealed against any retaliatory action, saying it remained committed to dialogue and diplomacy in the spirit of African solidarity and brotherhood. It added that the evacuation process for registered Nigerians wishing to leave South Africa was continuing.
In a separate statement, Nigeria’s consul general in Johannesburg, Ambassador Ninikanwa Okey-Uche, confirmed that Iroegbu had been killed by officers of the Tshwane Metro Police while Joe was murdered by criminals.
“We continue to call on the South African authorities to investigate the cases and bring the perpetrators of the gruesome acts to justice without further delay,” he said.
The Nigerian Union South Africa also demanded a “prompt, transparent and exhaustive investigation” into the killings.
The organisation’s spokesperson, Akindele Olunloyo, said the community was working closely with Nigeria’s diplomatic missions in Pretoria and Johannesburg to monitor developments.
“In light of these tragic killings, we urge all Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm, law-abiding and vigilant,” the union said. “Please exercise extreme caution in your daily activities, know your surroundings, and report any suspicious activities to the local police.”



