― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsOyo Police Dismiss Viral ‘Lakurawa Invasion’ Claim As Fabricated Misinformation

Oyo Police Dismiss Viral ‘Lakurawa Invasion’ Claim As Fabricated Misinformation

The Oyo State police command has dismissed as false a viral video claiming that about 300 members of the Lakurawa militant group had entered the state, accusing those behind the footage of deliberately spreading misinformation to provoke fear and public anxiety.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

In a statement issued on Sunday in Ibadan, the state capital, the police said a forensic review and intelligence-led investigation found no evidence to support the claims made in the widely circulated video.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said the footage was misleading and appeared designed to create panic among residents at a time when security agencies were working to consolidate recent gains in public safety.

According to the command, forensic analysis showed that the voiceover accompanying the video, attributed to an individual identified as Alhaji Muftau from Kontagora, matched earlier false claims that had already been investigated and debunked by the police.

“The Oyo State Police, following a comprehensive forensic analysis and intelligence-based verification, has confirmed that the viral video alleging the movement of about 300 Lakurawa terrorists into Oyo State is false, misleading and deliberately crafted to cause fear, panic and heightened tension among members of the public,” the statement said.

Police said intelligence gathered from operatives stationed in border communities, alongside strengthened early warning and response systems, uncovered no indication that armed groups had entered the state as alleged.

The command added that verification exercises carried out in collaboration with neighbouring police formations independently reached the same conclusion.

“Further intelligence gathered from operatives deployed across border communities, supported by the command’s strengthened early warning and response mechanisms, found no evidence to support the claim contained in the video,” the statement said.

Investigators also established that the footage circulating online was neither recorded in Nigeria nor linked to any recent event, reinforcing suspicions that it had been repurposed to mislead the public.

The police warned that individuals responsible for disseminating false security-related information could face criminal investigation and prosecution.

“In light of these developments, the command warns individuals and groups against the deliberate spread of misinformation capable of undermining public peace and security,” the statement said.

“Anyone found disseminating false information intended to incite panic or disrupt public order will be investigated and made to face the full weight of the law.”

The command said it remained committed to protecting lives and property under the leadership of the Commissioner of Police, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, and would continue to take lawful action against anyone seeking to destabilise the state.

Officials also urged residents to remain calm, law-abiding and vigilant, while relying solely on verified information issued through official security channels.

The statement added that the police would continue deploying all available legal and operational measures to preserve peace and prevent attempts to undermine public confidence in the state’s security architecture.