― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsOyo Teachers Begin Indefinite Strike As Union Demands Release Of Abducted Pupils...

Oyo Teachers Begin Indefinite Strike As Union Demands Release Of Abducted Pupils And Staff

Teachers across public primary and secondary schools in Oyo State began an indefinite strike on Monday after the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) ordered members to withdraw their services over the continued abduction of schoolchildren and teachers in the state.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

The industrial action follows growing frustration within the education sector over the fate of victims kidnapped in Oriire Local Government Area on 15 May, with the union accusing authorities of failing to secure their release despite repeated appeals and warnings.

In a circular jointly signed by NUT national president Audu Amba and secretary-general Dr Clinton Ikpitibo, the union said the decision had been taken in response to the “horrifying, inhumane and traumatic conditions” reportedly being endured by the captives.

“The national leadership has directed all primary and secondary school teachers in Oyo State to withdraw their services from Monday, 1 June 2026, until the abducted teachers and students are safely released,” the statement said.

The union said it had been particularly disturbed by reports of deaths among those being held and by emotional video messages allegedly recorded by a school principal and one of the abducted teachers from captivity.

According to the NUT, the prolonged detention of the victims, coupled with the absence of any clear indication that their release was imminent, left it with little option but to escalate its response.

As part of the campaign, the union directed all its state chapters nationwide to organise solidarity rallies on Tuesday, with demonstrations expected to culminate at state government houses across the country. Union leaders are expected to use the rallies to press for stronger protections for schools, teachers and learners.

“As a mark of solidarity, the national leadership has directed all state wings of the union to embark on solidarity rallies on Tuesday, 2 June 2026, to press home our demand for the unconditional release of the teachers and learners kidnapped in Oyo and other states of the federation,” the statement added.

Amba confirmed the directive, saying teachers in Oyo had been instructed to remain at home until further notice.

“We have directed all teachers in Oyo State to remain at home starting from tomorrow,” he said.

A national circular dated 29 May formally conveyed the decision to state chapters, ordering an indefinite withdrawal of services by public school teachers in Oyo until all abducted colleagues and students are safely released.

The union said the nationwide rallies formed part of a broader campaign for safer learning environments and renewed attention to the security challenges facing schools across Nigeria.

Recalling an earlier statement titled “Stop the Attacks on Schools, Teachers and Learners Now – Not Until We Perish”, the NUT said it had previously warned that a strike would follow if authorities failed to secure the release of kidnapped members.

It argued that repeated appeals to both government and security agencies had yielded little progress, leaving families, teachers and pupils in prolonged uncertainty and distress.

The union renewed its appeal to the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government and security agencies to intensify efforts to secure the immediate and unconditional release of all those being held.

In Oyo State, the local chapter of the NUT confirmed that it would fully comply with the national directive.

In a separate circular signed by state secretary Salami Olukayode, the union said the continued captivity of teachers and learners had generated fear and anxiety across the education sector while undermining public confidence in the safety of schools.

Members were urged to remain law-abiding and stay at home while discussions continued with relevant authorities.

The state chapter also reaffirmed its solidarity with the victims and their families, calling for urgent and decisive measures to address insecurity in schools.

However, the planned protests have exposed divisions within the education sector.

The Oyo State chapter of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools (NAPPS) announced that it would not participate in the solidarity rallies and advised its members to stay away.

In a statement signed by its president, Fajobi Olukunle, the association said concerns over insecurity should be addressed through engagement and dialogue with government rather than public demonstrations.

While expressing sympathy for the victims and their families, NAPPS suggested that the planned protests appeared to be driven more by political considerations than humanitarian concerns, arguing that several key education stakeholders had not been formally involved in the mobilisation.

The association nevertheless reaffirmed its commitment to the safety and welfare of pupils, students, teachers and school proprietors, pledging to continue advocacy through what it described as lawful and responsible channels.

It urged private school operators to remain peaceful, focus on academic activities and avoid participation in the demonstrations.