The Nigeria Police Force has arrested Adeniyi Adeyemi, the self-proclaimed Director-General of the purported Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC), after a Federal High Court in Abuja issued a bench warrant for his arrest over his failure to appear for arraignment on fraud-related charges.
Adeyemi was taken into custody in Osun State on Tuesday by operatives of the police Intelligence Response Team (IRT), hours after Justice Mohammed Umar ordered his arrest when he failed to appear before the court to answer an eight-count charge of alleged conspiracy, forgery and impersonation.
The case, filed under reference FHC/ABJ/CR/562/2025, centres on allegations that Adeyemi and two other suspects, identified only as Femi and Anu, forged official government documents and falsely presented themselves as officials of an organisation the Presidency has repeatedly insisted does not exist.
When the matter was called, Adeyemi’s lawyer, Genesis Francis, opposed the prosecution’s request for a bench warrant, telling the court that his client feared for his life and had written to President Bola Tinubu seeking protection before submitting himself to law enforcement authorities.
According to the defence, Adeyemi believed he would be unable to receive a fair hearing if arrested under the prevailing circumstances.
Justice Umar rejected the argument.
“The court will help him be alive,” the judge said before granting the prosecution’s application and ordering his arrest. The case was adjourned until 30 September for arraignment.
Shortly afterwards, police confirmed that Adeyemi had been apprehended.
A terse statement from the Force Public Relations Office said he was arrested in Osun State by officers attached to the Intelligence Response Team before being transferred to Abuja.
Police sources said Adeyemi had allegedly evaded security agencies for more than a week, switching off his mobile phones in an apparent attempt to avoid detection. Officials familiar with the operation said officers from the Department of State Services initially tracked him before the police IRT took over the search.
The team was led by CSP Moses Lohor, a senior police officer who previously headed the anti-kidnapping squad in Osun State. Lohor has earned recognition for leading several high-profile security operations but has also faced controversy, including criminal proceedings arising from the shooting of a transport union official in 2024.
The criminal charges against Adeyemi date back to November 2025 and accuse him of forging a series of government documents, including an alleged presidential appointment letter purportedly signed by the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, as well as official State House correspondence, requests for office accommodation and documents seeking collaboration with federal ministries.
Prosecutors also allege that Adeyemi falsely held himself out as Director-General of the purported PFIPC, an offence punishable under the Penal Code.
If convicted on the forgery counts, he could face up to 21 years’ imprisonment, while the impersonation charge carries a maximum sentence of three years or a fine.
Tuesday’s arrest follows an open letter published by Adeyemi a day earlier, in which he welcomed President Tinubu’s decision to direct the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate the PFIPC affair but argued that the anti-corruption agency could not conduct an impartial inquiry because it operates under the executive branch.
He instead called for an independent panel of inquiry, claiming the controversy extended beyond his own conduct and alleging he had received credible intelligence suggesting his life would be at risk if he surrendered to security agencies without guarantees of protection.
His arrest has also reignited debate over whether the investigation should extend to other public officials whose names have surfaced during the controversy.
The President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Afam Osigwe (SAN), said President Tinubu’s directive for a fresh ICPC investigation suggested authorities were seeking a broader examination of the affair than the criminal charges already before the court.
“The law does not deal with speculation,” Osigwe said, noting that Adeyemi remains the only person currently charged. However, he added that investigators would be expected to invite any other individuals whose involvement is supported by evidence.
Senior Advocate of Nigeria Prof. Sam Erugo similarly argued that anyone mentioned in connection with the allegations should ordinarily be questioned, including the President’s Chief of Staff if investigators considered it necessary. He acknowledged, however, that political realities could make such a move difficult while the official remains in office.
Erugo also criticised Adeyemi’s decision to avoid appearing before the court, saying the proper course would have been to contest the allegations through the judicial process rather than evade prosecution.
“Running away from trial is not the best. Running will not solve his problem,” he said.
The latest developments mark another chapter in a case that has attracted significant public attention since the Presidency disowned the purported Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council and ordered a wider investigation into claims surrounding its activities.



