The presidency has dismissed Oyo State governor Seyi Makinde’s call for a United Nations-led investigation into the abduction of 45 pupils and teachers in the state, accusing him of politicising a security crisis despite the successful rescue of the victims after nearly two months in captivity.
The disagreement emerged on Monday as Makinde formally took custody of the rescued pupils and teachers, pledging comprehensive medical, psychological and educational support while insisting that Nigerians deserved a transparent account of the circumstances surrounding the kidnapping and the operation that secured their release.
Armed men abducted 39 pupils and six teachers on 15 May after attacking three schools in the Yawota and Ahoro-Esienle communities of Oriire local government area. The victims were freed after spending 56 days in captivity following a prolonged intelligence-led security operation.
Speaking during the handover ceremony in Ibadan, Makinde called for an independent international inquiry, arguing that the incident raised questions that extended beyond the rescue itself.
“The circumstances surrounding this incident are sufficiently grave and unusual to warrant independent scrutiny beyond our domestic institutions,” the governor said, adding that any investigation would seek to reinforce, rather than undermine, public confidence in Nigeria’s institutions.
“The Nigerian people deserve a full and transparent account of what happened, who was responsible, whether there were institutional failures, negligence or collusion at any level, and what measures must now be taken to ensure that no community is ever subjected to such an ordeal again.”
But the presidency swiftly rejected the proposal.
Bayo Onanuga, special adviser to President Bola Tinubu on information and strategy, described the request as unnecessary and politically motivated, arguing that the military and intelligence agencies had already provided sufficient explanations of the rescue mission.
“Our doors are open. Let the UN come if he thinks there is more to it than what our military has explained,” Onanuga said, while questioning why the governor appeared to distrust Nigeria’s own security institutions.
He said it was inconceivable that security agencies would deliberately allow children to remain in captivity, noting that the operation had cost the lives of security personnel, including soldiers and members of the Amotekun corps.
“Look at those kids. Some of them are just about four or six years old. Will anyone want to deliberately subject them to the trauma they went through for 56 days?” he said.
Onanuga also linked Makinde’s position to national politics, suggesting the governor, who is seeking the presidency, was attempting to exploit the incident for political advantage.
“The man is just playing politics. He wants to weaponise anything available, including dredging up a strange conspiracy theory,” he said.
Makinde rejected suggestions that his demand was politically driven.
“This is not about politics. It is about justice for the victims, reassurance for our people, and restoring public confidence that every Nigerian child can go to school without fear,” he said.
Despite the public disagreement, the governor thanked President Tinubu and the country’s security agencies for securing the release of the victims.
“I have been governor for over seven years, and this is the first time we have experienced an incident like this. I sincerely pray it will be the last,” he said.
The rescued pupils and teachers have been placed under medical observation before being reunited with their families. Makinde said the state government would ensure that neither the teachers’ employment nor the pupils’ education was disrupted by the ordeal.
Military commanders said the rescue followed weeks of coordinated operations involving the Nigerian Army, police, Department of State Services, Amotekun corps and local vigilantes.
Major General Chinedu Nnebeife, General Officer Commanding 2 Division, said troops pursued the abductors through dense forests, relying on ground operations after aerial surveillance proved ineffective because of the terrain.
The operation, he said, came at a heavy price, with two soldiers killed and others wounded. Security agencies also dismantled the kidnappers’ logistics and supply network across several states before forcing the captors to release the victims unconditionally.
The harrowing conditions endured by those abducted emerged during the handover ceremony.
Rachael Alamu, principal of Community High School, Ahoro-Esienle, described weeks of forced marches through forests, nights spent sleeping outdoors and the brutal treatment inflicted on the youngest children.
She said the kidnappers executed mathematics teacher Michael Oyedokun to intimidate security forces and demonstrate their resolve.
“The reason the kidnappers killed one of the teachers was to scare away the security agencies and to send a clear message to the government that they meant business,” she said.
Makinde’s call has divided Nigeria’s political parties.
The Nigeria Democratic Congress, All Progressives Grand Alliance, Social Democratic Party and Young Progressives Party backed an independent inquiry, arguing that accountability and transparency would strengthen public trust and help identify any institutional failures.
The Labour Party, however, opposed international involvement, insisting that any investigation should remain within the jurisdiction of Nigeria’s own security agencies. Its spokesman, Ken Asogwa, argued that inviting the United Nations into a domestic security matter could raise unnecessary questions about the country’s sovereignty, while urging the Department of State Services and the police to conduct a thorough investigation instead.



