― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsSouth Africa Warns of Economic Fallout as Xenophobia Backlash Hits Businesses and...

South Africa Warns of Economic Fallout as Xenophobia Backlash Hits Businesses and Artists

 

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

South Africa has acknowledged growing economic and cultural repercussions from accusations of xenophobia, as government officials warn that businesses and entertainers are increasingly bearing the cost of a backlash across the continent.

The country’s Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, Mmamoloko Kubayi, said recent criticism of South Africa had resulted in cancelled performances, commercial disruptions and mounting pressure on South African interests abroad.

Speaking to the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Sunday, Kubayi insisted that a recent wave of deportations and evacuations linked to tensions in the country was aimed at undocumented migrants rather than foreign nationals in general.

“We can’t lie about the backlash,” Kubayi said, adding that the government had stepped up engagement with South African companies operating across Africa and beyond.

According to the minister, authorities are working with businesses affected by the fallout and providing consular and support services through diplomatic channels.

She said the consequences were particularly visible in the entertainment sector, where many South African artists depend on audiences elsewhere on the continent.

“The majority of our artists perform on the continent, and many of them are seeing their gigs being cancelled,” Kubayi said.

“One artist did reach out to me to say all her gigs were cancelled on the continent. This is an income loss by a South African.”

Kubayi urged African countries to distinguish between concerns over illegal migration and the treatment of lawful residents, arguing that foreign nationals living legally within national borders should be afforded protection.

“That is why let’s deal with the issue of illegal immigrants. Those you have within your borders legally, please protect them as you would protect South Africans,” she said.

The remarks come amid heightened tensions following reports of xenophobic attacks that have prompted several African countries, including Nigeria, Ghana and Malawi, to evacuate some of their citizens from South Africa.

The atmosphere has also spilled into sport. Last week, South Africa captain Ronwen Williams voiced frustration over what he perceived as a lack of continental solidarity after Bafana Bafana’s 2-0 defeat to Mexico in their opening match of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Williams said he was surprised by the number of African supporters backing Mexico rather than South Africa, arguing that African nations had historically rallied behind one another at major international tournaments.

“Africans have always supported other African countries in every World Cup tournament, but I can’t figure out why our own case is different,” he said. “Many Africans supported Mexico, not us, the South Africans. We almost shed tears, but it’s truly sad.”

His comments underscored broader concerns within South Africa that diplomatic and social tensions linked to migration issues are increasingly affecting the country’s standing across the continent.