A suspect accused of opening fire at a high-profile Washington media event attended by Donald Trump is due to be arraigned on Monday, federal prosecutors have said, following a security breach that rattled the US capital.
The individual, who allegedly exchanged gunfire with agents from the United States Secret Service but was not wounded, will appear before a US district judge to face multiple charges.
Jeanine Pirro said the suspect would be charged with using a firearm during a crime of violence and assaulting a federal officer with a dangerous weapon, underscoring the seriousness of the alleged attack.
Speaking at the White House after the incident, Trump said the episode would not alter his administration’s posture on the ongoing conflict involving Iran, though he stopped short of ruling out any connection.
“It’s not going to deter me from winning the war in Iran. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, I really don’t think so, based on what we know,” he told reporters.
The president had earlier struck a more cautious note, saying “you never know” whether the shooting could be linked to the conflict, while describing the suspect as a “lone wolf”. Investigators are continuing to examine the motive.
In the immediate aftermath, Trump also cancelled a planned trip by US envoys to Pakistan, where talks linked to de-escalation efforts with Iran had been expected. Officials said the decision followed dissatisfaction with Tehran’s negotiating position after weeks of hostilities.
The shooting — which unfolded at a gathering of political figures, journalists and public officials — is likely to sharpen debate over security at major events in Washington as authorities press ahead with their investigation.



