Nigeria’s federal capital territory minister, Nyesom Wike, has challenged the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) to provide evidence that it formally applied to use Abuja’s flagship event venue, amid a growing dispute over preparations for the party’s national convention.
Speaking to journalists during an inspection of infrastructure projects in Abuja on Monday, Wike rejected claims that authorities blocked the party from accessing Eagle Square, insisting no official request had been submitted to his office or any relevant agency.
“If any party insists it was denied access, let them provide evidence of a formal application,” he said, describing the allegations as unfounded and an attempt to generate public sympathy.
The ADC had earlier accused authorities of frustrating its plans to host its convention at Eagle Square and the velodrome of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, claiming its requests went unanswered. The party’s spokesperson, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the group had been forced to move the event to an alternative venue in the capital.
Wike, however, maintained that access to public venues in Abuja was governed by clear procedures applied uniformly to all political parties, citing past conventions by the Peoples Democratic Party and the All Progressives Congress as examples of compliance.
“We do not deny any group access as long as they follow due process,” he said, adding that such events contribute revenue to the government.
The dispute comes at a politically sensitive moment as parties begin to mobilise ahead of the 2027 elections, with opposition groups increasingly raising concerns over access to public facilities and institutional neutrality.
Separately, Wike dismissed reports that the Kugbo bus terminal had collapsed, clarifying that the structure remained intact and that only sections of its roofing had been damaged by strong winds.
“What happened was that parts of the roof were blown off. Repairs are ongoing,” he said, adding that no casualties were recorded.
The minister also provided an update on ongoing infrastructure works across the capital, saying key road projects were expected to be completed by mid-May, with streetlight installations due before the end of the month.
He pointed to progress at the Wassa relocation site for artisans — a long-delayed initiative aimed at moving informal sector workers such as mechanics to a permanent location — describing it as a fulfilment of commitments made by successive administrations.
As the row with the ADC unfolds, Wike’s remarks underscore the increasingly contested political atmosphere in Abuja, where administrative decisions over venues and logistics are fast becoming entangled with the broader battle for public perception ahead of the next election cycle.



