― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsAkpabio Moves To Drop Defamation Suits After New Year Sermon Prompts Rethink

Akpabio Moves To Drop Defamation Suits After New Year Sermon Prompts Rethink

Nigeria’s Senate president, Godswill Akpabio, has ordered his lawyers to withdraw all ongoing defamation lawsuits he filed against several individuals, saying the decision followed a moment of personal reflection during a New Year Mass.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

Speaking on Thursday at Sacred Heart Parish in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Akpabio said he had been moved by a sermon delivered by the priest, prompting him to reconsider a string of legal actions he had pursued over alleged attacks on his character.

“I had almost nine cases in court against some individuals who defamed me, who lied against me, who slandered my name,” he told the congregation. “But I listened to the priest and suddenly realised he was talking to me, so I hereby direct my solicitor to withdraw all lawsuits against them.”

The announcement brings to an end a series of high-profile defamation cases filed by Akpabio in 2025, several of which attracted intense public scrutiny. Among them was a lawsuit against fellow senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, whose relationship with the Senate president deteriorated sharply over the past year.

In late 2025, Akpabio instituted a N200bn defamation suit against Akpoti-Uduaghan following allegations of sexual harassment, which he firmly denied, and challenged her to substantiate in court. Earlier in the year, his wife had also filed separate defamation actions against the Kogi lawmaker, saying claims attributed to her had damaged the family’s reputation.

The legal battles were the culmination of a widening rift between the two senators, which deepened after Akpoti-Uduaghan accused Akpabio of playing a role in her suspension from the Senate in March 2025, shortly after she made public allegations of misconduct. She subsequently turned to the courts, filing her own suits, including an N100bn defamation claim against Akpabio and others over remarks she said harmed her standing.

With Thursday’s directive, Akpabio has effectively drawn a line under the protracted courtroom disputes, signalling a desire for closure as the new year begins. Whether the move will ease tensions within the Senate or reset fractured relationships remains to be seen, but the decision marks a notable shift in tone from one of Nigeria’s most powerful political figures.