― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsASUU Set to Begin Two-Week Warning Strike Over Unfulfilled Government Promises

ASUU Set to Begin Two-Week Warning Strike Over Unfulfilled Government Promises

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is poised to embark on a two-week nationwide warning strike from Monday, October 13, after accusing the Federal Government of failing to act on a series of long-standing commitments, including the renegotiation of the 2009 ASUU-FGN Agreement.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

The decision, outlined in an internal memo titled Strike Bulletin One and circulated to all branches, follows a 14-day ultimatum issued by the union last month. In the bulletin, ASUU National President, Professor Chris Piwuna, lamented what he called the government’s “total lack of meaningful response” despite years of negotiation and repeated assurances.

“The National Executive Council of our union, at its emergency meeting of 28 September, 2025, resolved to give government a 14-day ultimatum to resolve the issues contained in the negotiated document transmitted to government since February 2025,” Piwuna wrote. “At the expiration of the ultimatum, the union will proceed on a two-week warning strike if no satisfactory action is taken.”

The union said it had notified the Ministers of Labour and Education as well as the Nigeria Labour Congress of its resolutions, but that no progress had been recorded a week after the ultimatum.

“It is regrettable that there is no meaningful development deserving any consideration to be reported,” Piwuna said, thanking members for their “patience in a tortuous negotiation that has unjustifiably lasted more than eight years.”

ASUU’s key demands include the signing and implementation of the renegotiated 2009 agreement, sustainable funding for university revitalisation, and the payment of outstanding 25–35 per cent salary arrears. The union is also seeking the resolution of promotion arrears, the release of withheld third-party deductions, and an end to the “victimisation” of lecturers at some federal universities.

“The goal of our current action remains to compel the government to sign and implement the renegotiated agreement document,” Piwuna stated, urging members to mobilise for collective action. “We are strong when we organise, but weakened when we agonise.”

He instructed members to take directives only from their branch chairpersons and to remain united. “No one should be left out of the struggle for our welfare, to stem the japa syndrome, and reposition the Nigerian university system for global competitiveness,” he added.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Education, Folasade Boriowo, said updates on the government’s position would be provided “when available.”

The planned strike comes amid growing unrest across Nigeria’s tertiary education sector. On Monday, the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) also issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Federal Government, citing non-implementation of key agreements.

In a communiqué following its National Executive Council meeting at the Federal University, Lafia, on October 4, NAAT expressed frustration over the failure of the Ministry of Education, led by Dr Tunji Alausa, to address outstanding concerns, including the incomplete renegotiation of the 2009 FGN/NAAT Agreement and delays in salary payments.

The union said it was “worrisome” that a report on the renegotiation had been submitted to government “without proper consultation,” and condemned the non-release of enabling circulars for promotions under CONTISS 14 and 15.

“While NAAT remains open to dialogue, failure to act within the stipulated period will leave the union with no option but to declare an industrial action,” the statement warned.

Both unions have long accused successive governments of neglecting the public university system, warning that continued underfunding, salary delays, and broken agreements risk deepening Nigeria’s higher education crisis and accelerating the exodus of skilled academics abroad.