At least 24 people have been abducted in separate attacks by bandits in Zamfara and Kaduna States, underlining the persistent security challenges facing communities across Nigeria’s north-west.
In Zamfara, no fewer than 20 residents of Dausayi village were kidnapped on 28 January after armed men stormed the community in the afternoon. A resident, who requested anonymity for security reasons, said the attack occurred at about 4pm and was carried out by a gang reportedly led by a notorious bandit kingpin known locally as Yellow Janbross.
Following the raid, security forces were deployed to the area. The divisional police officer in Dansadau, working with other agencies, launched an operation to pursue the assailants and rescue the victims.
The state police spokesperson, Yazid Abubakar, confirmed the incident on Friday, saying officers had already secured the release of most of those abducted.
“I have just confirmed from the DPO in charge of the division that the incident happened,” Abubakar said. “The police immediately launched a rescue operation to track the assailants and ensure the victims are safely rescued. So far, 18 out of the 20 abducted victims have been rescued, and efforts are ongoing to rescue the remaining two.”
In a separate incident in Kaduna state, four residents of Kikwari village in the Gyengegyre community of Kajuru local government area were abducted during a night-time attack.
According to Zagazola, a counter-insurgency analyst who reports on security issues, the assault took place at about 1.30am on 28 January, when armed bandits invaded the village. The victims were identified as Augustine Nicholas, James Bawa, Yabo Zabedee and Abaya Tanko.
Security forces were said to have cordoned off surrounding bush areas and intensified search operations in an effort to rescue the kidnapped villagers.
Attempts to obtain official confirmation from the Kaduna State Police were unsuccessful. Calls and messages to the police spokesperson, Mansir Hassan, were not returned at the time of filing the report.
The latest incidents add to a growing toll of abductions linked to banditry in north-west Nigeria, where rural communities continue to bear the brunt of armed violence despite repeated security operations by the authorities.



