Former Nigerian vice president Atiku Abubakar is expected to formally register as a member of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) on Monday, a development that could significantly reshape the opposition field ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
Atiku confirmed the move while addressing ADC supporters and stakeholders in Adamawa at the weekend, saying he would complete his registration with the coalition party at the start of the week. His aide, Abdul Rasheeth, announced the decision on Sunday, describing the step as a moment that “could significantly alter Nigeria’s political landscape”.
Atiku’s decision marks a major development in the broader effort to forge a united opposition front, months after he helped steer the adoption of the ADC as the coalition platform to challenge President Bola Tinubu in 2027. Despite backing the coalition in July, he, Peter Obi, and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation Babachir Lawal had delayed formally signing up.
Shehu Yohanna, the ADC chairman in Adamawa State, last week urged Atiku, Lawal and other prominent figures to take the final step and register as full members. Yohanna said he expected Atiku to use his visit to Yola this week—where he is marking his birthday and distributing items in his hometown of Jada—to pick up his membership card.
“I believe he will use the visit to officially register … I think the former SGF and other intending members will do the same to legalise their membership,” Yohanna said.
The anticipated registration comes just days after the ADC leadership sought to dispel speculation over the absence of both Atiku and Obi at the unveiling of the party’s new national secretariat in Abuja on 17 November. The event, attended by the ADC national chairman, David Mark, national secretary Rauf Aregbesola, and former Kaduna governor Nasir El-Rufai, prompted questions about the two coalition figureheads, who issued no explanation for their absence.
Mark described the new office as a symbol of the coalition’s “historic” ambition to reshape the country’s political future. “It is a physical testament to our collective resolve to build a greater nation,” he said.
Bolaji Abdullahi, the party’s publicity secretary, dismissed allegations of disunity. He said Obi was out of the country and Atiku unavailable, stressing that both remain committed to the coalition. He also rejected claims that the party secretariat had been donated by Atiku. “He leased the building and his rent had expired. The ADC rented the building,” Abdullahi said.
While Atiku prepares to formalise his move, Obi has maintained silence on his own political direction. His allies insist he is weighing his options carefully. Yunusa Tanko, Obi’s former campaign spokesman, said speculation that Obi was considering abandoning the coalition was unfounded.
“He will make a statement soon because he needs to get it right now that a lot of people are showing interest in him,” Tanko said, adding that Obi was seeking a platform that would not “trap” him as the 2027 race approaches.
With the ADC expected to favour a southern candidate, Obi’s supporters say he is biding his time and plans to declare his intentions after the Anambra governorship election.
“He will do it at the appropriate time. He shouldn’t be pressured,” Tanko said.



