― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsBritish Envoy Visits Anthony Joshua In Hospital After Fatal Lagos–Ibadan Crash

British Envoy Visits Anthony Joshua In Hospital After Fatal Lagos–Ibadan Crash

The deputy head of mission of the British high commission, Simon Field, has visited the world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua in hospital following a road traffic accident on the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway that claimed two lives.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

According to the Ogun state government, Field met Joshua during the visit and later held discussions with the Ogun state governor, Dapo Abiodun, and his Lagos state counterpart, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, as British officials continued to monitor developments surrounding the incident.

In a statement issued on Monday by Kayode Akinmade, special adviser on information and strategy to the Ogun governor, the government said the British high commission had been formally notified of the crash and remained in close contact with both the hospital and state authorities.

“The deputy head of mission, Mr Simon Field, visited the hospital and met with Anthony Joshua and the two governors. The families of the deceased have also been contacted through the high commission,” the statement said.

The accident occurred around midday on Monday and involved a Toyota Lexus jeep conveying Joshua and three other passengers. Two occupants of the vehicle were killed and have been identified as Ayodele Kelvin Olu, a 36-year-old Nigerian-British citizen, and Gami Sina, a 36-year-old British citizen.

Abiodun later visited the Lagos hospital where Joshua was receiving treatment and was joined by Sanwo-Olu. Both governors reportedly remained at the facility for several hours to monitor the situation and ensure the boxer received appropriate medical care.

Speaking on the incident, Abiodun said he went to the hospital immediately after receiving news of the crash. “As soon as I was informed, I headed straight to the hospital and was later joined by the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu,” he said. “We both took charge of the situation, oversaw Anthony Joshua’s care, and remained at the hospital for over seven hours.”

Other senior officials who visited the hospital included the inspector general of police, Kayode Egbetokun, and the director general of the National Sports Commission, Bukola Olopade.

The Ogun state government said Joshua remained in a stable condition and was receiving appropriate medical attention. “We are comfortable with the doctors and the quality of care at the hospital, and we appreciate the medical team for their professionalism,” Abiodun said.

President Bola Tinubu was also briefed on the accident. According to the state government, the president spoke separately with Joshua, his mother and Abiodun, conveying his sympathies and condolences.

Quoting the president, Abiodun said: “This immense tragedy has cast a deep shadow over this season. These are very difficult moments, and we must stand firm, united, and encourage one another as brothers and sisters with a shared destiny.”

Authorities have ordered a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash, with the Ogun state government assuring that details would be made public once the inquiry is concluded. Further updates on Joshua’s condition, officials said, would be communicated as necessary.