The Federal High Court in Abuja has reaffirmed its earlier directive ordering all parties to maintain the status quo ahead of the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) planned National Convention, scheduled for November 15 and 16, 2025, in Ibadan, Oyo State.
Presiding judge, Justice James Omotosho, ruled on Thursday that the existing order remains binding and warned that any attempt to circumvent the court’s authority or pre-empt its judgment would attract “consequential sanctions.”
The warning followed a complaint by PDP counsel, Chief Chris Uche (SAN), who told the court that the party had been constrained by the subsisting order and urged an expedited hearing of the substantive suit. Justice Omotosho assured both sides that judgment would be delivered before the end of October, cautioning against delay tactics or procedural gamesmanship.
“You and I, as ministers in the temple of justice, know that once a matter is before the court and parties have been served, no further steps should be taken on the subject matter,” Omotosho said. “Where any party violates this principle, the court has the power to nullify such acts. Let us respect the law—it is in our collective interest.”
The court fixed October 20 for the definite hearing of the originating summons filed by three aggrieved PDP members—Austin Nwachukwu (Imo PDP Chairman), Amah Abraham Nnanna (Abia PDP Chairman), and Turnah George (PDP Secretary, South-South)—against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and eight others.
The plaintiffs are seeking to halt the Ibadan convention, where new national officers are expected to emerge, alleging that the PDP failed to hold the necessary congresses to elect delegates, thereby invalidating the process.
They are also asking the court to restrain INEC from recognising any notice or outcome of the convention unless it complies fully with the 1999 Constitution, the Electoral Act 2022, and INEC’s regulations for political parties.
The suit (FHC/ABJ/CS/2120/2025) lists INEC, the PDP, National Secretary Senator Samuel Anyanwu, National Organising Secretary Umar Bature, and members of the National Working Committee and National Executive Committee as defendants.
At the last sitting, the court granted an application to join Umar Damagum, Ali Odefa, and Emmanuel Ogidi as additional defendants, widening the scope of the case to include key party leaders.
Justice Omotosho directed all parties to exchange their legal documents by October 17 to facilitate an accelerated hearing. He also instructed the PDP’s lawyers—Chief Chris Uche (SAN) and National Legal Adviser Kamaldeen Ajibade (SAN)—to file formal papers clarifying who holds the party’s brief in the matter.
The case underscores deepening internal divisions within Nigeria’s main opposition party as it struggles to maintain cohesion ahead of the 2027 general elections.



