― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsCourt Remands Ex-Labour Minister Chris Ngige Over ₦2.2bn Fraud Allegations

Court Remands Ex-Labour Minister Chris Ngige Over ₦2.2bn Fraud Allegations

A federal high court in Abuja on Friday ordered the remand of the former minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, at the Kuje correctional centre after he was arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on allegations of contract fraud amounting to ₦2.2bn.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

Ngige, a former governor of Anambra State, pleaded not guilty to an eight-count charge bordering on abuse of office and the acceptance of gifts from contractors of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), which prosecutors say occurred while he served as supervising minister between September 2015 and May 2023.

In a brief ruling following the plea, the trial judge, Maryam Hassan, adjourned the hearing of Ngige’s bail application until 15 December, ordering that he be remanded in custody pending the court’s decision.

The EFCC’s lead counsel, Sylvanus Tahir, a senior advocate of Nigeria, asked the court to fix a trial date and to remand the defendant, arguing that the not-guilty plea cleared the way for full proceedings to begin.

“In view of the plea entered by the defendant, we humbly apply for a trial date,” Tahir said. “We further pray, my lord, that the accused be remanded at Kuje prison pending the commencement of the full trial.”

Ngige’s legal team, led by Patrick Ikwueto, also a senior advocate, strongly opposed the application, urging the court to grant bail on health grounds. Ikwueto told the judge that his client had already spent three days in EFCC custody before the arraignment and was entitled to bail under the constitution.

“The defendant is not an unknown person in this country,” he said. “Even this morning, he mentioned the need to go to the hospital. The prosecution is asking for his remand, knowing fully well that they do not have the facilities to cater for his health issues at Kuje.”

The defence argued that the alleged offences were not comparable to terrorism or treason charges that would justify the denial of bail, insisting that the case revolved around how contracts were awarded at the NSITF and would be determined at trial.

Prosecutors pushed back, warning the court against downplaying the seriousness of the allegations. The EFCC said the offences carried a potential prison term of at least five years if Ngige were convicted and raised concerns about his compliance with previous bail conditions.

According to the prosecution, Ngige had earlier been granted permission to travel abroad on medical grounds and was released with his international passport, which he allegedly failed to return or report back to the commission upon his return.

“As we speak, his international passport is not with the EFCC,” Tahir told the court, urging that the defendant be remanded as a flight risk.

Ikwueto countered that the passport had been stolen during Ngige’s trip to London, along with other personal belongings, and that the former minister returned to Nigeria on a travel certificate. When the judge queried how Ngige re-entered the country without a passport, the defence said affidavits and supporting documents had been submitted to the EFCC—a claim the prosecution disputed.

After extended arguments over whether the court should entertain an oral bail application or await a formal one filed earlier that morning, the judge adjourned the matter to 15 December for the hearing of the bail request and ordered that Ngige be remanded at Kuje Correctional Centre in the interim.