The Federal Government has announced that staff disengaged from Dangote Refinery operations will be redeployed across the Dangote Group, following a truce between the company and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN).
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Mohammed Maigari Dingyadi, said on Wednesday that no affected worker would lose pay or face victimisation as part of the settlement. “After examining the procedure used in the disengagement of workers, the meeting agreed that the management of Dangote Group shall immediately begin the process of redeploying the disengaged staff to other companies within the Dangote Group, with no loss of pay,” he said.
The dispute, which escalated earlier in the week, saw the oil workers’ union halt crude and gas supplies to the $20bn refinery — a move that raised concerns about possible shocks to Nigeria’s fragile energy supply chain.
PENGASSAN had accused the company of mass transfers and dismissals targeting union members and alleged that Nigerian employees were being replaced by foreign staff, in breach of labour laws. Dangote management denied the claims, insisting the restructuring was driven by operational needs.
Talks between both sides initially collapsed on Monday, but government intervention pushed the parties back to the table. The minister said the resolution had been reached “in good faith,” adding that “unionisation is a right of workers in accordance with the laws of Nigeria, and this right should be respected.”
With the understanding in place, PENGASSAN has begun the process of suspending strike action, while Dangote has committed to immediate redeployment of affected staff.



