Delta State governor, Sheriff Oborevwori, has expressed deep sorrow over a train derailment in Agbor, Ika South local government area, which left four people dead and several others injured, describing the incident as “tragic and heartbreaking”.
In a statement issued on Monday by his Chief Press Secretary, Festus Ahon, the governor said the loss of lives had dealt a painful blow to bereaved families and to the state as a whole, and extended condolences to those affected.
He said the state government had immediately activated emergency response protocols to support victims, coordinate rescue efforts and ensure swift medical attention for the injured.
“The governor directed the Commissioner for Special Duties, alongside the chairmen of Ika South and Ika North-East local government areas, to proceed to the scene and supervise rescue operations,” the statement read.
Oborevwori also commended security agencies for their rapid response, noting that the state commissioner of police personally visited the site and deployed officers to secure the area, maintain order and safeguard passengers’ belongings.
According to the statement, injured passengers were evacuated to nearby hospitals for treatment, while those who escaped unharmed were transported into town. The bodies of those who died were deposited in a mortuary.
To assist evacuation efforts, buses were deployed to move survivors and injured victims from the scene of the crash.
The chairman of Ika North-East local government area, Monday Odigwe, said 35 injured passengers were currently receiving treatment across three medical facilities in the area.
He said 13 victims were admitted at Central Hospital, Agbor; 12 at General Hospital, Owa-Oyibu; and a further 10 at General Hospital, Owa-Alero.
Odigwe added that arrangements were underway to remove the derailed train from the site on Tuesday as investigations into the incident continued.
Governor Oborevwori prayed for the repose of the souls of the deceased and urged God to grant their families strength in the aftermath of the tragedy. He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to the welfare and safety of residents, assuring that government would continue to monitor developments and provide support to affected persons.
In a separate statement on its official X account, the presidency confirmed that three people had initially been reported dead following the derailment of the Warri–Itakpe Train Service in Agbor.
The Nigerian Railway Corporation said rescue and emergency response operations were immediately activated and that all passengers had been accounted for, while authorities continued to assess the cause and full impact of the incident.
“The thoughts and prayers of all Nigerians are with the victims and their loved ones,” the statement added, as investigations into the derailment continue.



