― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsDoctors Warn of Imminent Nationwide Strike as Ultimatum Nears Expiry

Doctors Warn of Imminent Nationwide Strike as Ultimatum Nears Expiry

As a critical deadline looms, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) has warned that it will embark on a nationwide strike if the Federal Government fails to address its long-standing grievances by July 23.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

Speaking in an exclusive interview, the association’s president, Professor Bala Audu, said the government’s handling of the issues at stake could plunge Nigeria’s fragile healthcare system into deeper crisis. “We have made our position clear. If the Federal Government does not address our demands, we may have no choice but to proceed with a strike,” he warned.

The warning follows a 21-day ultimatum issued on July 2 over a contentious circular released by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC). The circular, which outlines revised allowances for medical and dental officers in the federal public service, has been described by the NMA as “obnoxious” and in breach of previously established agreements.

Professor Audu insisted the circular contains provisions that were never mutually agreed upon and threaten the welfare of healthcare professionals. “We expect that any new directive affecting our members should be the outcome of mutual consultation, not something imposed,” he said.

According to him, although the NMA has been engaging with key government ministries, including Health, Labour, and Finance, little progress has been made. A follow-up meeting initially planned for last week was postponed following the death of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The next meeting is meant to include representatives from the Ministry of Finance and the NSIWC. Unless it holds in the next few days, we may be left with no alternative but industrial action,” Professor Audu added.

The Katsina State branch of the NMA also weighed in on the standoff, issuing a strongly worded communiqué after a State Executive Council meeting on Saturday. The statement, signed by Chairman Dr. Muhammadu Sani and Secretary Dr. Yahya Salisu, expressed “grave disappointment” with the June 27 circular and demanded its immediate withdrawal.

“The NMA Katsina State branch hereby rejects the NSIWC’s circular… and demands urgent government withdrawal action and fulfillment of all the demands,” the communique read.

The branch warned it could no longer guarantee the continuity of healthcare services if the government fails to act swiftly.

With just hours left on the clock, all eyes are on the government to avert what could become a crippling shutdown of medical services across the country.