― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeUncategorizedFormer Kogi Governor Yahaya Bello Remanded in Prison Over N110bn Fraud Allegations

Former Kogi Governor Yahaya Bello Remanded in Prison Over N110bn Fraud Allegations

In a dramatic twist in the ongoing corruption case against former Kogi State governor Yahaya Bello, the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama, Abuja, ordered his remand in Kuje Correctional Centre on Tuesday. The embattled former governor, along with two co-defendants, Umar Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu, is facing 16 counts of criminal breach of trust and money laundering involving N110.4 billion.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

Justice MaryAnne Anenih dismissed Bello’s bail application, describing it as “premature and unprocedural,” effectively ensuring he will spend the festive season behind bars.

A Flawed Bid for Freedom
Bello’s legal team had filed his bail application on November 22, days before his arraignment on November 27. Justice Anenih ruled this invalid under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

“Having not been filed when the first defendant was either in custody or before the court, this instant application is incompetent,” Justice Anenih declared. “The application, having been filed prematurely, is hereby refused.”

Bello’s counsel, Jacob Daudu (SAN), had argued that as a two-term governor, his client was unlikely to abscond or interfere with witnesses. “He is a responsible individual who will comply with any conditions set by this court,” Daudu said.

However, the prosecuting counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kemi Pinheiro (SAN), countered that the premature filing rendered the application invalid. Justice Anenih upheld the prosecution’s argument and adjourned the trial to January 29 and 30, 2025.

Bail for Co-Defendants
While Bello’s bid for freedom was thwarted, his co-defendants, Oricha and Hudu, were granted bail under stringent conditions. Justice Anenih set their bail at N300 million each, with two sureties who must own properties in Abuja’s upscale Maitama District worth no less than the bail bond.

The sureties must submit original title documents to the court, depose to affidavits of means, and provide copies of their passports. Additionally, Oricha and Hudu are required to deposit their travel documents with the court and remain in custody until all bail conditions are fulfilled.

Festive Season in Custody
The judge’s decision means Bello, once a prominent figure in Nigerian politics, will spend Christmas and New Year in detention. His legal team has announced plans to file a fresh bail application promptly. “Tomorrow, God willing,” Abdulwahab Mohammed (SAN), a member of Bello’s defence team, told reporters.

Months of Pursuit Ends in Courtroom Drama
The case against Bello has been marked by months of evasion. Declared wanted earlier this year, Bello surrendered to the EFCC on November 26, leading to his arraignment the following day.

The charges against him have added another chapter to Nigeria’s turbulent struggle against high-profile corruption, with many viewing the case as a litmus test for judicial accountability in handling politically exposed individuals.

As the legal battle resumes in January, the spotlight will remain firmly on the former governor and the implications of his trial for governance and anti-corruption efforts in Nigeria.