Nigeria’s Correctional Service revealed on Sunday that 281 inmates are still on the run after escaping from the Maiduguri Medium Security Custodial Centre, which was severely compromised by floods in the capital of Borno State last Tuesday. The flooding, which has displaced hundreds of thousands and claimed dozens of lives, caused extensive damage to prison walls, allowing inmates to flee.
Umar Abubakar, spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), assured that security efforts are underway to recapture the missing prisoners. In a statement, he said that seven of the escapees had already been recaptured, and coordination is ongoing with the Nigerian Immigration Service, the Nigeria Police Force, and other agencies to track down the remaining fugitives.
“Every security agency in the country has been notified, and they are on alert to help track down the fleeing inmates wherever they may be,” Abubakar said. “With their help, we will capture them and return them to our custodial centre.”
The prison break has heightened anxieties, particularly after Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum expressed his concerns that some of the inmates may include Boko Haram militants, raising the stakes in an already dire situation. “We are seriously worried that some of those who escaped could be dangerous,” the governor said.
The flooding in Maiduguri, which has affected over 414,000 residents and led to the deaths of more than 30 people, including children, has only compounded the humanitarian crisis. Relief efforts, spearheaded by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), have seen the airlifting of crucial supplies to the region, including food and medical aid.
Abubakar noted that the Correctional Service is using biometric data to assist in identifying the escaped inmates and has made these details available to the public. “The service is working in synergy with other security agencies as both covert and overt deployments have been activated to locate them. The public is assured that this incident does not impede or affect public safety,” he added.
As the search for the fugitives intensifies, the NAF’s ongoing humanitarian mission in Maiduguri continues, with airlifts of relief materials such as rice and medical supplies being delivered to support displaced residents. The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal H.B. Abubakar, has pledged to continue operations as long as necessary to provide relief to the flood-stricken city.
The escape of so many prisoners — particularly amid fears that they may include members of Boko Haram — is a stark reminder of the challenges Nigeria faces in managing both natural and security-related crises. As efforts to capture the remaining inmates continue, the focus remains not only on ensuring public safety but also on mitigating the disaster’s impact on vulnerable communities.



