― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsINEC Defers Nationwide Voter Revalidation Until After 2027 Polls

INEC Defers Nationwide Voter Revalidation Until After 2027 Polls

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has postponed its planned nationwide voter revalidation exercise until after the 2027 general election, in a move that reshapes preparations for the next national poll.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

INEC said the decision was reached on Friday following a meeting with Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs), where a range of electoral matters were reviewed.

In a statement, the national commissioner in charge of information and voter education, Mohammed Haruna, said: “Following deliberations, the commission resolved to postpone the exercise until after the 2027 general election.”

The voter revalidation exercise forms a central part of INEC’s mandate to maintain the integrity of the National Register of Voters. It is designed to verify existing records, correct personal data, remove duplicate or ineligible entries, and strengthen the credibility of the voter database.

The commission noted that the process would also give registered voters an opportunity to confirm and update their personal details.

Despite shelving the exercise for now, INEC reiterated its commitment to credible elections, insisting it “remains committed to the conduct of free, fair, credible, and inclusive elections”.

In a separate directive dated 4 April and signed by the commission’s secretary, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, INEC instructed RECs to suspend all publicity and logistical arrangements linked to the revalidation exercise.

The letter, however, asked commissioners to continue preliminary preparations, including sourcing personnel and readying voter enrolment devices, even as the broader exercise is put on hold.

“RECs are also directed to step down all publicity and arrangements for the voter revalidation exercise and await further directives from the commission,” the notice stated.

INEC expressed regret over any inconvenience caused by the change, assuring commissioners that the decision had been taken after careful consideration.

The commission had earlier announced that the nationwide revalidation drive would begin on 13 April 2026, as part of efforts to update the voter register ahead of the 2027 general election.