The Katsina State Government has said it is optimistic that retired Major General Rabe Abubakar, former Director of Defence Information, and his wife will soon be freed following their abduction by suspected bandits along the Matazu axis of the state.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Culture, Dr Bala Salisu Zango, the government said on Saturday that coordinated rescue efforts involving security agencies had reached an advanced stage.
According to the statement, the administration believes ongoing operations by security forces could soon secure the release of the couple, as well as other victims held by armed groups in the region.
Governor Dikko Umaru Radda, it said, had immediately ordered security agencies to prioritise the safe rescue of the retired military officer, his wife and other abductees.
“Evidence gathered so far suggests that the veteran military officer and his spouse were specifically monitored and trailed right from Kaduna, their point of departure,” the statement said.
Officials said the nature of the operation pointed to a “deliberate and targeted” kidnapping, suggesting the involvement of organised criminal networks rather than opportunistic attackers.
“The precision of the abduction indicates the involvement of organised criminal groups. This insight is currently guiding the strategy of the security forces to ensure a focused and effective rescue mission,” it added.
The government said security agencies were now combining intelligence gathering with technological surveillance to track the abductors and secure the victims’ release.
“We are dealing with a targeted operation, which changes the dynamics of our response,” the statement said. “The state is working around the clock, utilising both technology and ground intelligence to close in on the abductors.”
It added that inter-agency cooperation between the Nigerian Army, the police and intelligence services had been intensified as part of efforts to ensure a breakthrough without endangering the lives of the captives.
The administration urged members of the public to provide any useful information that could assist ongoing operations, particularly details of suspicious movements prior to the abduction.
“The Katsina State Government appeals to the public for any information regarding suspicious movements or activities that preceded the event, as such details are crucial in dismantling the network responsible for this targeted hit,” it said.
Reaffirming its commitment to tackling insecurity, the government urged the family of the retired general and residents of the state to remain calm, insisting that the ongoing operation would yield results.
“We are confident that the ongoing high-level operations will yield a positive result very shortly,” it said.
The government also assured that further updates would be communicated as the situation develops.



