― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsNigeria Says Joint Airstrikes With US Signal Resolve Against Terrorism

Nigeria Says Joint Airstrikes With US Signal Resolve Against Terrorism

Nigeria’s armed forces have said recent airstrikes in the country’s north-west, carried out in collaboration with the United States, underline the federal government’s determination to confront terrorism and prevent foreign fighters from gaining a foothold.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

In a statement issued on Friday in Abuja, the director of defence information, Maj Gen Samaila Uba, said the operation followed “credible intelligence” and was designed to degrade the operational capacity of terrorists while limiting harm to civilians.

According to Uba, the strikes were authorised by the appropriate authorities and formed part of sustained efforts to dismantle terrorist networks and other criminal groups threatening national security.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria, in conjunction with the United States of America, has successfully conducted precision strike operations against identified foreign Isis-linked elements operating in parts of north-west Nigeria,” he said.

He added that the operation reflected careful planning and intelligence-led execution aimed at weakening militant groups without causing unnecessary collateral damage.

Uba said the strikes demonstrated the resolve of the Nigerian government, working alongside international partners, to confront transnational terrorism and stop foreign fighters from establishing or expanding bases within the country.

“This action clearly demonstrates the unwavering resolve of the federal government of Nigeria, in collaboration with strategic international partners, to confront transnational terrorism and prevent foreign fighters from gaining any foothold within our borders,” he said.

The defence spokesman reaffirmed the military’s commitment to protecting lives and property across Nigeria, pledging continued support for joint, inter-agency and international security efforts to restore lasting peace.

Earlier on Friday, Nigeria’s ministry of foreign affairs confirmed that the country remains engaged in structured security and intelligence cooperation with international partners, including the US, to combat terrorism and violent extremism.

In a statement signed by the ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, the ministry said the collaboration includes intelligence sharing, strategic coordination and other forms of support, conducted in line with international law, respect for sovereignty and shared security commitments.

The ministry stressed that Nigeria’s counter-terrorism strategy prioritises the protection of civilians, national unity and the rights of all citizens, regardless of faith or ethnicity, describing terrorist violence against any group as an affront to Nigeria’s values and to international peace.

The statements followed remarks by the US president, Donald Trump, who said on Thursday that American forces had carried out deadly strikes against Islamic State fighters in north-western Nigeria. In a separate social media post, the US defence secretary, Pete Hegseth, said the operation was conducted with the cooperation of the Nigerian government and thanked Abuja for its support.

The airstrikes came a day after a bomb attack on a mosque in Maiduguri, Borno state, killed five people and injured dozens. Authorities suspect the attack was a suicide bombing, underscoring the continuing security challenges facing parts of the country.