The Federal Government has intensified diplomatic efforts to secure the release of a Nigerian Air Force C-130 aircraft and its crew, who remain in detention in Burkina Faso for a third day after being seized over an alleged breach of the country’s airspace.
Senior military officials confirmed on Wednesday that the matter had been formally taken over by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, raising hopes of a swift resolution. “They have not been released yet. The matter is now being handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We hope they will be released soon with their intervention,” one military source said.
The ministry also acknowledged it was now leading negotiations. Its spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, said the Nigerian Embassy in Ouagadougou had opened discussions with Burkinabe authorities. “The Embassy of Nigeria in Ouagadougou is engaging with the host authorities to secure their release,” he said.
Burkina Faso’s state-run news agency, Agence d’Information du Burkina, reported on Tuesday that the aircraft—carrying 11 soldiers—was forced to land in Bobo-Dioulasso after allegedly entering Burkinabe airspace without clearance. A statement issued by the Confederation of Sahel States said an investigation by its authorities “highlighted the absence of authorisation to fly over the territory of Burkina Faso for this military device.”
The bloc condemned what it called a “violation of sovereignty,” insisting it “condemns with the utmost firmness this violation of its airspace and the sovereignty of its member states.”
The Nigerian Air Force, however, maintains that the diversion was made purely on safety grounds. According to a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame, the C-130 was en route to Portugal on a ferry mission when the crew detected a technical concern shortly after takeoff from Lagos on 8 December 2025.
In line with standard aviation protocols, the crew diverted to the nearest airfield, Ejodame said, adding that personnel on board were “safe and receiving cordial treatment” from Burkinabe officials. He noted that plans were underway for the mission to resume once clearance was obtained, stressing the Air Force’s commitment to operational discipline and safety standards.



