― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsNigeria’s Labour Unions Call Off Abuja Strike After Wike Promises No Victimisation...

Nigeria’s Labour Unions Call Off Abuja Strike After Wike Promises No Victimisation Of Workers

Organised labour has agreed to suspend further industrial action in Nigeria’s federal capital and withdraw all pending court cases linked to the dispute, after assurances from the FCT minister, Nyesom Wike, that no worker would face reprisals over the recent strike.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

The decision followed a marathon conciliation meeting between leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) and the minister, convened at the instance of the chairman of the Senate committee on the FCT, Senator Mohammed Bomoi.

In a circular dated 3 February 2026 and addressed to all affiliates of the TUC and NLC, the unions directed their members in the Federal Capital Territory to return to work immediately.

The circular, jointly signed by the TUC secretary general, Nuhu Toro, and the acting NLC general secretary, Benson Upah, said the meeting began at 11.45pm and ended at 3.51am after what was described as “extensive and frank deliberations”.

“All affiliates are hereby informed that a conciliatory meeting held between the Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, at the instance of the Chairman, Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Mohammed Bomoi,” the statement read.

Union leaders said grievances raised by workers were discussed in detail.

“All complaints presented by JUAC members were taken one after the other and fully addressed,” the circular noted.

Central to the talks was the fear of reprisals against workers who participated in the strike. Organised labour said Wike gave what it described as firm guarantees that no victimisation would occur.

“Arising from the strike action, no worker shall be victimised in any manner,” the circular said.

It added that the minister pledged continued engagement with labour leaders and a more respectful working relationship going forward.

“The honourable minister assured organised labour of mutual respect and sustained engagement,” it said.

As part of the agreement, the unions also resolved to discontinue all legal proceedings connected to the dispute.

“All outstanding cases at the National Industrial Court shall be withdrawn immediately,” the circular stated.

The unions subsequently ordered an immediate resumption of work across FCT institutions.

“Consequently, all JUAC members and all affiliates of the TUC and NLC working in the Ministry of the FCT are hereby directed to resume work immediately,” the statement said.

Labour leaders urged strict compliance, stressing the need to preserve industrial harmony.

“All affiliates are enjoined to comply strictly with this directive in the interest of industrial peace and harmony in good faith,” the circular added.

The move followed the suspension of a planned protest by the NLC and TUC that had been scheduled to take place in Abuja on Tuesday, in solidarity with workers of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), who embarked on an indefinite strike on 19 January over unpaid salaries, promotion arrears and poor working conditions.

A visit to the FCTA secretariat at about 8.30am showed workers returning to the premises, suggesting compliance with the directive.

The resolution comes amid mounting legal and security pressure over the planned protest. On Monday, the National Industrial Court restrained the NLC and TUC from embarking on any protest or industrial action in the FCT, following an ex parte application filed by Wike and the FCTA. The case was adjourned to 10 February for further hearing.

The FCT police command had also advised the unions to shelve the protest, citing intelligence reports that it could be infiltrated and hijacked by non-state actors, posing a threat to public peace and security.