― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsOndo Residents Blockade Highway After Church Vigil Abductions

Ondo Residents Blockade Highway After Church Vigil Abductions

 

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

Residents of Uso in Ondo state blocked the busy Akure–Owo expressway for hours on Wednesday, protesting against the abduction of worshippers from a midnight vigil at a Celestial Church of Christ.

At least five people remain in captivity after armed men stormed the church in the early hours of Tuesday, seizing congregants and fleeing into nearby forest. One of the six initially taken managed to escape.

The attack, which took place at about 12.50am, has intensified anxiety in the area and prompted fresh scrutiny of security in the south-western state.

According to residents, gunmen descended on the church, located along the highway linking Akure and Owo, and whisked worshippers away under cover of darkness. By morning, anger had spilled on to the streets.

Protesters barricaded the expressway, halting traffic and chanting solidarity songs as they demanded urgent government intervention. The demonstration underscored mounting frustration over what locals describe as a worsening security situation.

“We are here to tell the government that insecurity in Ondo state is increasing,” said one protester, who gave his name as Deoye. “Imagine innocent people worshipping their God being kidnapped inside a church. This is unacceptable. The government must be more proactive in protecting lives and property.”

The Ondo state police command confirmed the incident, saying a joint rescue operation was under way. The police spokesperson, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, said officers were working with the Nigerian army and local vigilante groups to locate the victims.

“Upon receiving the report, operatives of the command, in collaboration with the Nigerian Army and local vigilante groups, immediately mobilised to the scene and commenced a coordinated rescue operation,” he said.

Jimoh added that one abducted worshipper had been rescued and that a suspected informant linked to the attack had been arrested and was assisting investigators.

Security operations, he said, were continuing with the aim of securing the release of the remaining captives and apprehending those responsible.

The incident is the latest in a string of kidnappings targeting rural communities and travellers along major highways, fuelling concerns about the reach of armed groups and the capacity of authorities to contain them.