In a symbolic move resonating with humanitarian intent, Nigerian President Bola Tinubu ordered the release of minors detained in connection with last August’s protests, urging the youths to reshape their futures. Vice President Kashim Shettima, addressing the youths at the State House Auditorium in Abuja, presented the clemency as a turning point, encouraging the young protesters to build responsible and productive lives.
The President’s decision, delivered on Monday, came after several months of public outcry and criticism from human rights organisations over the conditions of the detained minors. While the government cited video and photographic evidence linking the youths to disruptive actions during protests, Tinubu extended a gesture of clemency, overriding punitive measures to offer the detained minors a chance at rehabilitation. Vice President Shettima underscored this opportunity, urging the youths to “not allow themselves to be used to perpetrate violence” in future. He noted that the protests had inflicted significant economic losses, amounting to N300 billion, a toll mainly borne by private businesses and properties.
Shettima emphasised that the release of these minors should not be construed as an absolution of guilt but rather as an act of mercy. “The President, as the father of the nation, is giving these young men another chance,” Shettima said, stressing that the clemency was issued with “the President’s humanitarian foresight.” The clemency follows Tinubu’s directive to Attorney General Femi Gbajabiamila to expedite the release of minors without compromising ongoing legal processes.
The country had been gripped by a wave of unrest in August as protests erupted under the #EndBadGovernance banner. Initially, the movement voiced grievances over inflation and governance issues but soon escalated into calls for political overhaul, leading to the arrest of 76 individuals, including 30 minors. Those detained faced serious charges, including treason and inciting a coup—allegations that had left them in custody since August, with bail proceedings delayed amid bureaucratic wrangling.
The Vice President’s address was accompanied by calls for prudence, underscoring the government’s stance on balancing its authority with a commitment to rehabilitation over retribution. “The President instructed the release of the suspects on humanitarian grounds, despite incontrovertible evidence of wrongdoing,” Shettima stated.
As the release was set in motion, state governors have vowed to assist the released minors in rebuilding their lives. Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani and Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf have each committed to supporting the young people’s reintegration through initiatives in education and small business support. Sani, addressing the youths directly, drew from his own history of political activism and resilience. “We struggled for the restoration of democracy under military rule. At that time, my father was a judge. I was jailed four times,” he told the youths, urging them to prioritise education and enterprise over further protests.
The Kano State government, represented by Governor Abba Yusuf, will provide scholarships for those still in school and capital for business ventures. Yusuf praised Tinubu’s compassion, noting that the release demonstrated a rare “empathy and commitment to justice.” He affirmed that a team of medical professionals would assess the youths’ health needs and facilitate their smooth return to normal life, a gesture underscoring the state’s investment in their rehabilitation.
In Abuja, civil society groups and human rights organisations welcomed the release but called for sustained oversight of the minors’ welfare and reintegration progress. Critics of the original detentions have argued that the government’s security apparatus overreached in prosecuting the minors, many of whom had reportedly been unaware of the potential legal ramifications of their participation in the protests. The detention of these minors had sparked heated debates on both social and traditional media platforms, raising questions about the proportionality of charges brought against young protesters.
As part of the reintegration process, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction has been directed to prioritise the minors’ welfare and oversee their reintegration. Vice President Shettima stressed that “the opportunity for reform should be taken seriously by all involved.”
Reflecting on the need for a unified response to the country’s socio-economic challenges, Shettima urged state and federal representatives to embrace this moment as a collective, nonpartisan effort. “What binds us together as citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria supersedes whatever divides us,” he said, encouraging fellow governors to work together in guiding the youths toward constructive paths.
While significant, Tinubu’s intervention also seeks to avoid future unrest, as ministers and officials continue to discuss the structural issues that underlie Nigeria’s wave of civil discontent. Several governors, including those of Kaduna and Kano, have called for robust employment and educational schemes aimed at reducing youth unemployment and dissatisfaction.
Looking forward, the government hopes that the minors, as they return to their communities, will seize the opportunity to become responsible citizens rather than be drawn into further unrest.



