― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeNewsSix Plead Not Guilty To Terrorism, Coup Plot Charges In Abuja Court

Six Plead Not Guilty To Terrorism, Coup Plot Charges In Abuja Court

Six defendants accused of plotting acts of terrorism and attempting to overthrow the Nigerian state via a coup have pleaded not guilty before the Federal High Court in Abuja, in a case that has drawn attention for its sweeping allegations and high-profile names.

Advertisement
[adrotate banner="3"]

The defendants — including retired senior military officers and civilians — were arraigned on a 13-count charge, with prosecutors alleging a conspiracy to “levy war” against the state and overawe the president. A former minister of state for petroleum, Timipre Sylva, is also named in the charge but remains at large.

The prosecution, led by the attorney general, Lateef Fagbemi, alongside the director of public prosecutions, Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court the charge was ready for hearing when proceedings opened on Wednesday afternoon.

But the arraignment was briefly delayed after one of the defendants said his lawyer was absent. The trial judge, Joyce Abdulmalik, ruled that the plea could proceed regardless. A further pause followed when another defendant required an interpreter, prompting the court to stand the matter down before resuming.

When proceedings restarted, all six defendants entered not guilty pleas. In the course of the arraignment, one acknowledged recognising a sum of money cited in the charge but denied any link to terrorism, while another described the funds as a personal gift, also rejecting any involvement in unlawful activity.

Prosecutors allege that the group, alongside others still at large, conspired in 2025 within Abuja to wage war against the state — an offence punishable under Nigerian law. They are also accused of failing to disclose intelligence related to the alleged plot or take steps to prevent its execution.

Following the pleas, the prosecution asked the court to remand the defendants in the custody of the Department of State Services and to grant an accelerated hearing. Defence lawyers did not oppose the request for a speedy trial but raised concerns about access to their clients, which they said had previously hindered preparations.

Fagbemi told the court that no formal complaints had been brought to his attention and insisted that established procedures existed to ensure lawyers could meet with detainees, urging counsel to notify authorities in advance.

In her ruling, Abdulmalik ordered that the defendants be remanded in DSS custody and directed that they be granted access to their lawyers. The case was adjourned to 27 April for the commencement of trial and the hearing of bail applications.

Outside the courtroom, the human toll of the case was evident. Wives of some of the defendants appealed for their husbands’ release, saying they had not seen them in six months. One woman, whose husband is among the accused, said she was struggling to care for their four children alone, pleading for intervention as the case moves toward trial.