The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors has listed the release of the circular for one-for-one replacement of clinical staff and the payment of the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund as minimum conditions to call off its indefinite strike, which commenced on July 26.
The National President of NARD, Dr. Emeka Orji, disclosed this in an interview with our correspondent on Wednesday.
Orji said that though the planned nationwide protest was suspended, the association was giving the Federal Government 72 hours to meet some of its urgent demands to call off its strike.
According to him, the association will decide whether to continue or call off the strike by Friday, August 12.
The striking doctors had earlier planned to commence a daily peaceful protest, starting from Wednesday, August 9, 2023, if the government fails to meet their demands.
Orji said, “We had a fruitful meeting yesterday (Tuesday) at the Villa and with the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, so it will not be good to have that level of meeting, and the next day we hit the streets to protest, it will look as if there is an ulterior motive behind our demands.
“Our demands are germane because there is a shortage of doctors in our hospitals, so the few of us remaining are being overworked. How long are we going to continue like that? They have told us what they will do today (Wednesday) and tomorrow (Thursday), and we are hopeful they will do the needful. If they are able to do those things, then I am sure the National Executive Committee will give us the mandate to suspend the strike because we are very understanding.