Nigeria’s disease control agency has activated emergency measures to prevent Ebola from crossing its borders after the Democratic Republic of the Congo confirmed an outbreak of the deadly virus.
In a public advisory issued on Saturday, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) said there were no confirmed cases in the country but announced tighter surveillance at airports, land crossings, and seaports to ensure early detection.
Dr Jide Idris, the NCDC’s director general, said the agency was working with government ministries, state health authorities, and international partners to bolster preparedness. Hospitals nationwide had been told to reinforce infection control protocols, he added, while public awareness campaigns were being rolled out to counter rumours and misinformation.
“The bleeding has not reached Nigeria,” Idris said, “but our borders, health facilities, and communities must be alert.”
The NCDC urged citizens to take preventive steps, including frequent handwashing, avoiding raw or undercooked meat, and steering clear of direct contact with anyone showing unexplained symptoms such as fever, vomiting, or bleeding. It also warned travellers against non-essential trips to countries where Ebola cases have been confirmed.
Anyone recently returned from affected regions and experiencing symptoms was told to remain in place, avoid exposing others, and call the national toll-free helpline.
Nigeria, which successfully contained Ebola during the 2014 West Africa outbreak, is now balancing its response with ongoing battles against Lassa fever, diphtheria, meningitis, and cholera.
The latest outbreak in DR Congo—the country’s 15th since the disease was first identified there in 1976—has already claimed 16 lives, including four health workers, out of 28 suspected cases. Health authorities in Kinshasa confirmed the virus as Ebola Zaire, the most lethal strain.



